America's Two Party Political System
Webquest of Political Parties
Search each of these websites and answer the following questions:
1) Explore each website for at least 15 minutes a piece.
2) Briefly discuss each website. (hint - what do you see, is it easy to get around, etc.)
3) List at least five items from 5 different party platforms.
4) Name at least 5 different presidential candidates from the last election.
5) About how many different national political parties are there?
6) List local candidates from each of these parties.
7) Take the quiz on the following website: www.the advocates.org/quiz.html
8) How did you score on the quiz?
9) Write a brief summary about what you learned from this activity.
Create your own Party Platform
Discuss each of the following questions. After you have shared your opinion, reach a group consensus on each issue, and write a collective statement reflecting your group's point of view.
1) Do you believe we should have a balanced budget, tax cuts, or tax increases?
2) Should we provide financial security for the elderly?
3) Should a portion of social security be invested in the private sector?
4) What can we do to help our schools?
5) Should our schools focus on discipline, character, and safety?
6) Do you believe in accountability?
7) Do you believe in rewarding success?
8) How should we invest in our schools?
9) Do you believe we should protect American consumers?
10) Do you believe we should invest in our communitites?
11) Do you believe we should be tough on crime?
12) Do you believe free health care should be provided for everyone?
13) How should we protect our environment?
14) Should the United States be a global peacekeeper?
15) Do you believe we should pull our troops out of Iraq?
16) Write a brief conclusion statement summarizing your platform.
Remember - There are no Wrong answers!
Governors State University - Adventure of the American Mind Partner