Title: The Battle of Gettysburg
Grade Level: 8
Time Required: 1-2 weeks
In this unit students will utilize technology to enhance learning about the Battle of Gettysburg. This unit was designed for 8 th grade students. The lessons developed in this unit of study use technology resources and a variety of learning styles to include instructional activities with which students will gain a better understanding on the impact the Battle of Gettysburg had on the Civil War. The students' portfolio will incorporate all of the items the students complete throughout the unit.
1. Students will gain knowledge on the significance of the Battle of Gettysburg.
2. Students will name the key individuals who participated in the battle.
3. Students will name the key locations where fighting occurred during the three day battle.
4. Students will choose one event, one person, and one object that they consider to be of major importance to the Battle of Gettysburg and design a stamp in honor of each one. Students will also write a description about the impact each person, place, and thing had on the battle.
5. Students will write an essay describing the Battle of Gettysburg. The essay will compare what the students learned from reading about the battle and what the students saw in the video.
The following assignments will be included in the students' portfolios:
- Time line
- Stamp collection – one person, one place, and one object
- Essay – comparing and contrasting readings about the battle and the movie of the battle
1. STATE GOAL 1: Read with understanding and fluency.
2. STATE GOAL 3: Write to communicate for a variety of purposes.
3. STATE GOAL 16: Understand events, trends, individuals and movements shaping the history of Illinois , the United States and other nations.